2

A peg bag

A peg bag

On a rainy morning I did some tidying and suddenly noticed that our peg bag, which I made a long time ago, was badly frayed around the opening. I decided to make a new one from fabric in my stash.

The previous one was too long, so I made a shorter one. When I made the earlier one, I used three pieces of the main fabric – one for the back and two for the front. This made it easy to bind the opening with a contrasting fabric.

This time I used a single piece of fabric for the whole bag. There is a fold at one side. I sewed the top bottom and side seams before carefully cutting a straight opening. Sewing the binding fabric on was a bit tricky!

I hand-finished the binding and strengthened the small hole in the top seam, through which the coat-hanger passes.

Having made this on the spur of the moment, I didn’t stop to plan properly. An easier way of making this would have been to cut the opening before joining the seams. Then I could have bound the edges on a flat piece of material. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

2

Making masks

As the date when it will be compulsory to wear a mask in shops in England is rapidly approaching, I have made a few masks. I was already wearing a bought mask in shops and when I had a haircut. That mask was a good fit, so I used it to make a pattern for double thickness cotton masks. First I read a couple of mask-making articles on the web. Then I drew around the mask on tracing paper, added about 5/8in (1.5cm) all round for seam allowances and voilà I had a pattern for the lining. For the outer layer a side extension was necessary to accommodate a casing for elastic. I drew a second pattern piece.

Patchwork lining

Showing the shape and ties

From behind

I am always reluctant to throw out the oddments of material left over from my occasional dress-making projects. This is a time, when my stash has proved invaluable. So far I have stitched three masks and cut out two more. The third mask I stitched has a patchwork lining. My oddments were not big enough, but three joined together were! So the lining consists of six pieces.

The elastic has not been stitched. I tied a reef knot to try on the prototype and decided that it is more practical to have a knot, which may be tightened if the elastic becomes tired, than a neater join, which would need to be unpicked and sewn again. For extra tension and to give a better fit, I tied a piece of tape between the two pieces of elastic.

Subsequently I found that a single piece of elastic about 20ins long threaded through both ends and tied giving two strands across the back of the head works best.

 

4

A chunky hat pattern

An earlier post describe a hat knitted in chunky yarn from crown to brim. Having discovered the approximate number of stitches required I knitted a second hat in a more usual way.

Finished hat

The pattern

Using 5.5mm needles CO 88 sts in smooth chunky yarn and work in K.1. P.1. rib for twice the depth required for the brim.

Change to 6.5 mm needles and hairy yarn. Work in stocking stitch throughout.

Continue until work is the desired length before shaping the crown.

(K. 18. K. 2 tog.) 4 times. (84 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K. 17. k.2 tog.) 4 times (80 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K. 8. k.2 tog.) 8 times (72 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K.7. k .2 tog.) 8 times (64 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K.6. k.2 tog.) 8 times (56 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K.5. k2 tog.) 8 times (48sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K.4. k2 tog.) 8 times (40sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K.3. k2 tog.) 8 times (32 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

( K2.. k2 tog.) 8 times (24 sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K1. k2 tog.) 8 times (16sts.)

Purl 1 row.

(K2 tog.)  8 times (8sts)

Purl 1 row.

(K2 tog.)  4 times. (4sts)

Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread a tapestry needle and fasten off by passing needle through the remaining stitches. Join seam as far as ribbing using ladder stitch.

Using smooth yarn join ribbing using ladder stitch with right side reversed for folded part of brim.