It is quite a long time since I finished stitching the Peacock tile from Ehrman.
I had a problem – the design was rectangular and I intended to make a cushion cover with one side tapestry and the other side fabric. I could not find a rectangular cushion of a suitable size in any of the shops in our area. It did not occur to me that there might be other ways of using a rectangular piece of canvas work, so I put it on one side.
Having made the two cushions I blogged about here, I realised that I could use the rectangular panel in a larger cushion. I made some rough calculations and on my next visit to city shops took a length of tapestry wool as a colour guide. To be on the safe side I bought a metre of fabric, with the intention of lining the tapestry and making a cushion pad as well as a cover. The finished article is slightly different. I made a cushion pad and a cushion cover, which did not line the tapestry. The (cotton) fabric is the same for the pad and the cover, which is plain on the reverse.
The pad is filled with recycled polyester.
I began constructing the cover by inserting the zip. Originally my idea was to have the zip the width of the cushion, but I made it larger than the panel. The pad is sufficiently squashy to fit through the zip with care.
I joined as many seams as possible using my sewing machine. I left a gap of about 4-6 inches to fill the cushion pad (enough to put my hand through), which I oversewed after filling the pad.
The panel was stitched in place by hand after all the machine stitching was complete. This was rather time-consuming. It might have been better to make the panel with its border and then complete the cushion cover. I avoided a seam on the edge opposite the zip, which made the alternative method difficult. Avoiding stitching the front of the cover to the back was of paramount importance!