Members of the craft group somehow acquire more and more cushions – unless they make them for other people.
My foray to shops with a list provided me with most of the materials I needed to complete two cushions. US readers, I understand that you call our cushions “pillows”.
The first one is a square cushion, measuring sixteen inches. When I went shopping I intended it to be a fourteen inch one and bought a 14” zip (or zipper over the Atlantic). No problem, cushion pads squash!
The tapestry panel is from Ehrman and is Klimt taupe. The backing fabric I found is a good match. I decided that as I had a 16” cushion pad it would be better to use that and make a border around the panel. It would also be easier to machine stitch a zip to fabric that to try to attach it to tapestry canvas. Much of the work could be done using my sewing machine. I inserted the zip in the centre of the first side seam. I realised that I could use the material avoiding joins in two of the edges. I ended up with the back slightly smaller than the front, but that did not matter for a 3-dimensional cover.
I was unable to find a way of making mitred corners, but I hand-stitched the overlaps after I had hand-stitched the canvas to the backing. On the inside I caught down the surplus canvas to the back of the tapestry. I had trimmed the corners to remove some bulk.
My hand sewing would not win any prizes, but I have a serviceable cushion.
The second cushion was rather easier to complete. The tapestry front measures 16” each way. The kit was a Christmas present last year. I should have disposed of the packaging in an on-going attempt to lessen clutter like another blogger who is fighting Junkitis. However there was some yarn left over at the end and I found it and the information that this was a very easy kit from Vervaco.
This picture used thick acrylic yarn with a sheen. I had knitted a piece using Aran wool, which came out at 16” and decided to use it as the backing for this cushion. (Originally I was aiming to make a 20” cover, but I made this one instead and had the woollen one over.) The two sides are not normally visible at the same time and the colours are suitable. The kit is washable and the backing is hand-washable and should not shrink as it is pre-used wool. Nothing like a bit of up-cycling!
I inserted a 16” zip between the two pieces by hand using backstitch. I had to turn back the end of the zip to fit the sides. I was pleased with the result, which is shown in the photograph.
The next step was to place the two pieces together with the right sides facing and join the other seams by hand.
I plan to buy a cushion pad next time I am in the nearest large town.